Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thing 23

The Ning video demo by the CEO was a great intro. It was hands on, presented step by step which was easy to follow. I found this an appealing site to follow up on for my own use.

In visiting Classroom 2.0 I took a look at all of the suggested tabs from Forum to Videos. I found a group for Middle School Math Teachers that I checked out. There was a lot of tagging being used to collaborate on documents which even offered templates to get you started. The members were extensive. I looked at page 1 and found 5members from Texas, yahoo. There were 2399 pages to flip through. Also, the latest activity has been moved to the middle of the page.

All in all I thought this a wonderful way to start your own site and to take advantage of those already set up for educators. There is so much out there. It seems you really must be able to sift through all of the info and focus on what interest you the most.

I found lots of valuable groups, discussions, and tags. This is a great place to start social networking for educators and learn from the experiences of those that have gone ahead of those of us just starting.

Twitter now makes more sense when I look at it as a conversation between people of similar interest that are not always able to be in close physical proximity. It is also 141 characters or less and should be substantial and interesting in order to get followers for you to follow back.

The UT classroom that used twitter was definitely a success. It gave students an opportunity to be heard without being intimidated by the large audience sitting in the classroom. Instead conversations, questions, and clarification were sought by class members. Much like students working on their homework together.

This will take time for me to institute in my own work environment. But the wheels are turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment