Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thing #22

I have already established a facebook account. I set this account up in order to keep in touch with my two daughters. They are both facebook users and I can view some of the things they are doing without requiring their attention and time to be "mom time".



I view facebook as a useful communication tool. As I am learning more about how to comment and post through our 23 Things this has made membership in facebook not so scary. Of course, I am still in a tight circle of friends but have been amazed at how many people can be connected to the same people. I guess it really is a small world.



As educators it is important for us to be familiar with facebook and the other ways our student communicate in order to understand them. I really enjoy being a forever learner. Our example of keeping up with new technology will hopefully instill confidence and a habit of doing the same in our students.



The facebook network seems fun and useful in many ways. However, we need to make sure that our students are careful about sharing too much specific info about themselves for all to see. By this I mean specific locations they will be at on a regular basis etc. should not be advertised for all to see. This makes them vunerable to outsiders. This is my main concern about young people on facebook.



I like the ease with which a facebook profile is set up. I also like my anonymity. By this I mean I do not have to open myself up to everyone.



I feel like we all need to be careful how we represent ourselves on facebook also. I have seen some people make the mistake of thinking that what they did on facebook had no impact on their work and social relationships outside facebook.



Right now I do not really feel comfortable recommending facebook as a teaching tool for the classroom. Maybe as I learn more and have time to investigate facebook further I can see some applications that are not visible to me at this time.



So for now I am signing off as a facebook member.

No comments:

Post a Comment