Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thing #2

Thing #2

I have not been using the Web 2.0 as I viewed and learned in this presentation.

Several things that I read and viewed were very interesting. I know that we have a Monday morning newsletter from our Principal that would definitely be enhanced by her being able to access teacher blog postings at a set time and include that information to the rest of us.

I could see how this would impact the function of our campus in a positive way. I believe that the teachers would also be able to improve their communication to colleagues, parents, and students.

As a counselor I have worked with parents and teachers on several occasions to set up a way to make sure the parent was aware of classroom requirements and whether the student was fulfilling the requirements. A blog would definitely fulfill most of these requirements and not take up extra time on the teachers part for individual students with this need. Instead ALL students and parents would be afforded this opportunity if the need ever arose to double check that weeks assignments, projects, and test dates.

The idea of students keeping a blog to enter their assignments into is also excellent. They are able to not only benefit from hearing the discussion of classmates but also to view what other students are turning in for assigned writings. I would liken this to learning a sport and doing drills like in tennis. If I practice with someone that is at or above my level I tend to go up to that persons level and benefit from seeing how they respond and handle certain situations as they play. This will help round out all students as they write and commumicate with each othe in written format.

The wiki sounds awesome in that it lets the teacher set up the main site with general info and resources that can be seen and accessed by the whole class as a web textbook. How many times as a parent or teacher have we had to make sure that our student had the needed resources at school and at home to complete the assignment. Here the student can access resources already provided as well as adding the resources they find for others to view. You do not have to be sitting right next to each other physically to do all of this either. I can really see this as a benefit if a student has an event out of town and can still access and work with his or her teacher and classmates while away and returning.

I have heard of podcast before but did not realize what it was. I can see how posting a class discussion would help many students that might have learning differences. Say if they cannot get things down on paper quickly because of a temporary broken arm. But they can go back and replay a podcast that evening withour worry of missing something in their notes. This would be a great tool for teacher lectures / notes. This would also help the parents to better understand what assignment was issued.

I can see this becoming a great tool in the future of education. I feel that students are already using and benefiting from many of these. So we must always manage to stay up or ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment